Festive Safety Tips
The festive season is a busy time of year, and with lots going on, it is important to consider how to keep your home and family safe. Here are our top tips for a safe festive season:
- If you buy a real Christmas tree ensure that the tree stand is filled with water at all times and that it is stored away from ignition or heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators and light fittings
- Ensure that artificial trees are flame resistant.
- Carefully inspect Christmas light strings each year before putting them up. Discard any lights with frayed cords or loose connections
- Switch off lights when going to bed or leaving unattended for long periods of time
- Keep decorations and cards away from heat sources and don't leave burning candles unattended
- Use only one extension cord, invest in longer cords if necessary
- Remember, Christmas novelties and decorations are not toys and do not have to comply with toy safety regulations - place them high up and out of reach of young hands
- Make sure you buy children's gifts for the correct age group and from reputable retailers, and ensure they comply to safety standards
- Remember to buy batteries for toys that need them – that way you won't be tempted to remove batteries from appliances such as smoke alarms
- Look out for small items that could pose a choking hazard to young children, such as button batteries. Never leave these items lying around and make sure that children know not to put them in their mouths, ears or up their noses.
- Have scissors handy to open packaging, so you're not tempted to use a knife
Eating and Drinking
- Give yourself enough time to prepare and cook Christmas dinner to avoid accidents that come from rushing and wipe up any spills quickly
- Do not drink and drive, and plan long journeys so you won't be driving tired
- Make sure you reheat leftovers to at least 74 degrees Celsius or above to avoid food poisoning
For more information including a video on Christmas light safety please click on the following link: https://www.rospa.com/policy/home-safety/advice/christmas-safety
Seasons Greetings from Housing Solutions
We would like to wish you a happy and safe festive period.