Asbestos is a natural mineral that has been used in a range of building materials to make them more rigid and fire resistant. It was used widely as a building material in Great Britain from the 1930s through to the mid 1980s. It is our policy not to use materials containing asbestos in our properties.
However, as we have a large variety of homes, some of which were built when asbestos was widely used, it is likely that some of our homes will contain asbestos in some form.
Many people have worries about asbestos, but undisturbed asbestos is usually safe. However, care should be taken to prevent the release of fibres from asbestos as they can cause serious damage to your health.
What are we doing about asbestos in our properties?
We have carried out surveys on all types of our homes to identify any that were built using materials containing asbestos.
If your home has been identified as containing asbestos we will:
- Offer information and advice on the location, type and condition of any asbestos;
- Remove or make safe any materials containing asbestos that pose a serious risk to health;
- Remove any materials containing asbestos that do not pose a risk to health, when it is safe and cost effective to do so;
- Manage any materials containing asbestos which are left in place to minimise the risk to the health and safety of our customers, employees, contractors, visitors and other people using our premises.
If you think you may have asbestos in your home please leave it alone, it is safe unless it is damaged or disturbed. If you plan to do any DIY work on or around any materials that you think may contain asbestos in your home you should seek our advice before you carry out the work.
Asbestos dos and don’ts:
- DO leave asbestos alone, it’s safe unless it’s damaged or disturbed;
- DO call us if the asbestos is damaged or disturbed;
- DON'T sand, drill or saw asbestos materials;
- DON'T attempt to remove asbestos materials.
When carrying out improvements to your home, please be aware of the possible presence of Asbestos Containing Materials in your home.
If your home was built after the year 2000 it will not have been built using asbestos containing materials.
We have information that shows where any asbestos containing material might be in your home, and we can give this to you, with other information if you need. Just call 0800 876 6060 and ask our team.
You can also ask for sign in details to see our Asbestos Information website where you can see all the details about asbestos specifically for your home.