Help us fight the rubbish!
As the country fights one epidemic, there is another national epidemic that has serious environmental consequences: fly tipping and dumping of rubbish. Figures just released show that in the year 2019/2020 local authorities dealt with almost 1 million fly-tipping incidents, an increase of 2% since 2018/2019.
During lockdown, many people seized the opportunity to have a good clear out of their homes by tidying the garden, emptying the garage or decluttering their balconies. Unfortunately, just as there was an increase in items that people wanted to get rid of, local refuse dumps were closed in line with necessary Government restrictions. This has created an unprecedented increase in dumped rubbish. Housing Solutions have received numerous reports of discarded waste, overflowing bin tidies and large dumped items. In response to these reports, our Caretaking team have been diligently clearing some 2-3 tonnes of rubbish a week from our bin stores and communal areas.
Ensuring that our residents are happy in their neighbourhood and feel part of their community is vitally important. We want to support you and work together to tackle this ongoing issue of increasing rubbish. So here are some tips and advice for everyone to keep your neighbourhood tidy:
- Please dispose of your waste in the correct manner-separate items that can be recycled and put into the correct bin
- Bag up waste. Make sure that it is put completely into the bin and not left on the floor or outside the bin tidy. Rubbish left on the floor will encourage vermin and other pests.
- If the recycling bins are full, please do not leave items on the floor as they will not be collected.
- General household waste is collected by your local authority on your designated collection day. If you have communal bins these will be collected from the bin store or at the boundary of your home.
- If you live in a block of flats, you will share parts of the building with your neighbours, such as communal hallways, entrance lobbies and gardens. These areas must be always kept free from obstruction and fire hazards.
- If you see someone dumping items or misusing the bin areas, please report it.
Large or Heavy items
Did you know that we will collect your larger items for a nominal fee? Housing Solutions offers a collection service for large items (excluding fridges/freezers). Please call our Contact Centre 01628 543101 to arrange a collection and our Team will pick up any pre booked items on a Thursday or Friday. All items should be stored inside your property until either the day of collection or the night before the day the collection is due. Please remember that fly tipping is a crime, and you can receive a fine. You can anonymously report illegally dumped items via the form on our customer portal https://www.housingsolutions.co.uk/portal-home/
Working with you
We are also pleased to announce that we are launching an Estate Inspector Scheme. Our Estate Inspectors will be a group of residents from each of our estates, blocks and schemes who are invited to join their RLO (Resident Liaison Officer) to inspect the internal and external communal environments on a quarterly basis. Estate Inspectors will also help to provide more regular feedback to Housing Solutions about any work that is needed, making where you live a safer and happier place to be. Full training will be provided, and we will always be on hand to answer any questions you have. To find out more about how you can become a part of this new team please contact Lorna on 01628 543160 or email email@example.com
By working together, disposing of rubbish responsibly we can all enjoy our communities.